Tuesday, October 7, 2014

You Did What??: Assistive Tech for ELL Students

(Schadler, 2013)
This past week, my students presented their Visual Autobiographies. In order to challenge them to actively practice analyzing images (you can read about my struggles HERE), I created a Google Form for viewers to fill out.

In order to help my bilingual students, many of whom moved to our country and saw a computer for the first time this past September, I created a modified version of the form in print. This eliminated the additional steps of logging into the computer, signing onto gmail and trying to type a response. It also provided a more reasonable expectation in regards to reading of the images.

As I circulated, ensuring that all my bilingual students understood the expectations (picture: me using the most broken Spanish that you have ever heard pointing to the various pieces of the handout while asking a student translator for help) I was shocked to see that one of my students was already working on the Google Form! It turns out that he had translated the page into Spanish on his Chromebook and was answering the full questions right on the form--no modified handout needed.

This week I have been exploring assistive technologies; what I've come to realize is that I often think about this type of tech through the lens of helping my special education students. But in my class, my student was using an assistive technology to help him master the critical thinking skill of reading an image. He was no longer limited by vocabulary or language acquisition; his mind was free to analyze.

While our ultimate goal is to help our students become fluent in BOTH languages, allowing them to appropriately code switch, there are times when students should be able to use their native language to develop their thinking skills, independent of language ability.

When I was a language arts teacher, I was taught that if a student is reading, no matter the language, she was improving her ability to read. This would make her more successful when she finally mastered English. The same principle should apply to all subjects.

So why don't we see more students developing or practicing thinking skills in their native language while they learn English?

My guess: it's hard to set up as a teacher!

If you, as the teacher, do not speak the same language as your students, it can be incredibly challenging to create learning opportunities like these. However, we all know that teachers love to push boundaries. We love to learn. And, we hate accepting that something cannot be done.

So here are a few ideas and articles to get the ball rolling. Have more? Let us know below!

Using Technology to Assist ESL/ELL/Bilingual Students:


Works Cited:
Schadler, E. (2013). Fun with text. Emily's Classroom. Retrieved from http://www.emilysclassroom.info/2013/09/15/word-clouds-in-the-classroom/

6 comments:

  1. Hi Brittany,

    I think this post is a gold mine of how rewarding assistive technology could be in mainstream classes for students with any learning barriers. I bet watching that great "teaching moment" when your student was completing the assignment independently with assistance he was able to find for himself. That truly is the level of experience we strive for to provide every student. It's so important to collect all the variations of how software, technology and the pair working together provide assistance and keep a record centrally saved for all educators and staff members.The more research we can find that support thoughtful tech integration, the more realistic the dream is of having all students -whether they have special needs, language barriers, limited mobility and learning disabilities.

    The resources you provided in this post for ELL/ESL teachers and students can have a tremendous impact on the learning environment.

    -Nichole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nichole,
      You are so right when you advocate for a central record of these finds. I am going to suggest a school google site for these types of things! Great idea!
      Brittany

      Delete
  2. Brittany-

    Your student showed he was able to problem solve and figured out a way to complete the assignment independently! That's awesome :) Typically, we think of Assistive Tech for students with IEPs. However, we also have to think about how we can use technology to support ALL students- which includes ELL students, general ed students, even GT students. All our students can benefit from some sort of assistive technology, but it takes time and practice until we see the big impact.

    Thanks for sharing those resources- it's always good to see how other teachers incorporate technology in the classroom!

    Fatima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fatima,
      You are so right that time and practice are necessary to truly implement these technologies. Check out my latest post to see more of my thoughts on that!
      Britt

      Delete
  3. Brittany,

    This is just a great example of how comfortable students are when it comes to working with technology! Half the things I know, I think I've learned from kids. I agree critical thinking is key, regardless of which language the student is thinking in. Visuals are a great way to spark ideas and provide context for language acquisition. Just this week, I was reading a blog post on tumblr about a tool called Duolingo. It's a language learning website/app and is setup like a game so that you can compete against friends to see who is improving in their language acquisition skills. It also tracks progress. It's definitely something ELL teachers might want to check out!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess,
      I have actually used Duolingo. Let's just say, my Spanish is still lacking. However, it is a great, interactive game that helps with language acquisition! I think it may be an effective "center" in an ELL classroom! Great idea!
      Brittany

      Delete